Lightning Actions Fail to Highlight Picklist Dependencies in Mobile Browsers
Last updated 2018-05-05 ·Reference W-4635653 ·Reported By 0 users
When viewing Lightning Actions from a Desktop, the form shows dependent fields with a *grayed-out* background, which serves as a visual indicator signifying the field will not function until the controlling field is populated. This is expected behavior.
However, if the same form is accessed directly from a mobile device, both controlling and dependent fields have a *white* background. The dependent field remains (correctly) non-functional until a controlling value is in place... but the visual / gray differentiation is not present.
NOTE: This also impacts the use of Actions in Lighting-based Communities when accessed via mobile browsers.
0. Launch Chrome web browser (for later use of dev tools).
1. Starting in Classic, create 2 picklist fields on the Cases entity.
For each one:
- ‘Enter values, with each value separated by a new line’
- Restrict picklist to the values defined in the value set
2. Once done, go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields and click the Field Dependencies button.
3. Create a New Dependency between the 2 fields and Include Values for the dependent picklist. Save.
4. Now go to Setup | Create | Global Actions.
5. Click the Layout link next to the standard New Case (NewCase).
6. Add the 2 fields to the layout and Save.
7. Now Edit your assigned Case Page Layout.
8. In the Mobile & Lightning Actions section, add the New Case action to the layout. Save.
9. Switch to Lightning Experience and open a Case Record.
10. Confirm the New Case action is displayed and click on it to display its form.
11. Notice that the Dependent Picklist has a gray background, illustrating its reliance on another field.
12. Now, click F12 to launch Chrome Dev tools.
13. Click into dev tools panel (to give it focus) and then click Ctrl + Shift + M to enter mobile emulation.
14. Click F5 to refresh the page.
15. After the case reloads, click the New Case action in the bottom of the mobile view.
16. Compare the form to Step 11.
Dependent field has gray background.
Dependent field has no visual differentiator from other fields, causing unaware users to believe it is non-functional.
Add Help Text on the dependent field to call out its dependency on a controlling field.
Reported By (0)
Is it Fixed?
Any unreleased services, features, statuses, or dates referenced in this or other public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.