Case ownership change
|Available in: Contact Manager, Group, Professional, Enterprise Unlimited, and Developer Editions|
To transfer ownership of a record:
- Before transferring a record to a new owner, make sure the new owner has at least “Read” permission on the object.
- Click Change next to the Owner field.
The Change link displays only on the detail page, not the edit page. If you do not see the Change link, you cannot change ownership.
- Enter a new owner or select a user via the lookup icon.
In organizations where the Salesforce Customer Portal or partner portal is enabled, you can filter the results that display on the user lookup dialog by selecting either a queue or group of users from the Owner or Assigned To drop-down list. NoteOnly those users you are able to transfer ownership to are visible. Neither the User group nor the Roles and Internal Subordinates group contains Customer Portal or partner users.
- Select the Send Notification Email checkbox to notify the new owner.
The “From” email address displayed in the notification is your return email address as set in the Email Address field of your email settings.
For cases in Professional, Enterprise, Unlimited, and Developer Edition organizations, the email text is determined by the Case Assigned Template setting specified in the Support Settings. For other records, the email text is automatically generated and cannot be customized.
- Depending on the type of object you are transferring and your user permissions, the following checkboxes may also appear:
Checkbox Description Appears For Change Division Transfers the record to the new owner's division. All records related to the account are transferred to the new division as well. Accounts and leads, if you can view or edit the Division field Transfer open opportunities not owned by the existing account owner Transfers open opportunities owned by other users that are associated with the account. Accounts Transfer closed opportunities Transfers the closed opportunities associated with the account. This option applies only to closed opportunities owned by the account owner; closed opportunities owned by other users are not changed. Accounts Transfer open cases owned by the existing account owner Transfers any open cases associated with the account that are owned by the existing account owner. Accounts Transfer closed cases Transfers the closed cases associated with the account. This option applies only to closed cases owned by the account owner; closed cases owned by other users are not changed. Accounts Keep Account Team Transfers all account team members on the account to the new owner. Accounts Keep Sales Team Preserves the sales team when the opportunity is transferred to the new owner. If this box is unchecked, all sales team members are deleted when the opportunity is transferred to the new owner. NoteIf you transfer closed opportunities, the sales team is maintained, regardless of this setting. OpportunitiesIf you change an account owner with both Transfer closed opportunities and Keep Sales Team deselected, the sales team members' access for closed opportunities becomes Private (that is, the sales team members lose access to any closed opportunities).
- Click Save to finish.
When you change record ownership, some associated items that are owned by the current record owner are also transferred to the new owner.
|Record Type||Associated items that are also transferred|
|Accounts||Contacts, contracts with “Draft” status, attachments, notes, and open activities. Depending on your selections, this can also include open opportunities not owned by the current account owner, closed opportunities, open cases owned by the existing account owner, and closed cases.
When a partner account is transferred, partner users associated with that account are moved into the role hierarchy beneath the new owner.
Contracts with “Activated” status are not transferred to the new owner, however, the new owner has read-only access to these contracts.
|Contacts||Notes, attachments, and open activities|
|Opportunities||Notes, attachments, and open activities|
|Leads||Notes, attachments, and open activities. Open activities are not transferred if you change lead ownership using the Assign using active assignment rule checkbox.|
|Cases||Notes, attachments, and open activities|
|Campaigns||Attachments and open activities|
|Contracts||Notes, attachments, and open activities|
|Custom objects||Notes, attachments, and open activities|
Who can change ownership of records?
Knowledge Article Number: 100867
Who can change ownership of records?
The ability to change ownership of records depends upon user permissions, sharing as established by the organization wide defaults, and the role hierarchy. The following rules apply for record transfers:
1. System Administrators can transfer all records.
2. Standard Users can transfer ownership of any lead, contact, account, case or opportunity record that he/she owns or that is owned by a user below him/her in the role hierarchy (except campaigns).
3. Only users with the Marketing User check box selected on their personal information page can transfer campaigns.
4. If your organization wide defaults are set to Public Read/Write/Transfer for cases or leads, all users can transfer that type of record. If the organization wide defaults are more stringent, the rules outlined above apply.
5. For Enterprise Edition users, certain permissions can also affect the ability to change record ownership, like "Modify all Data" and "Transfer Records".
6. Users with the "Transfer Record" permission can transfer any account, contact, lead, case or opportunity individually or in mass.
7. Users with the "Transfer Leads" and "Manage Leads" permissions can transfer any lead individually or in mass.
8. Users with the "Modify All Data" permission can transfer ownership of all records.
*Please note that users who have the ability to edit a record do not necessarily have the ability to transfer it.
Find it here: Change Case Ownership Plus