Jennifer Pirrone - 8 months ago
This is very annoying, and is causing confusion among my user base.
That being said, I did find a workaround - if you are able to replace any URL field with a formula field on the layout and use the HYPERLINK formula with the "target=_blank" property, that seems to resolve this issue. The new link does not result in a dialog box when clicked.
For context, I am using Chrome, and I have disabled my pop-up blocker. I still get this dialog box whenever I click a link that isn't formatted with the formula I mentioned above.
Igor Filatov - 8 months ago
I have found a solution to disable this for firefox (67.0.4 works fine), so you should do this:
Lawrence Manfredi - 8 months ago
This needs to be addressed. Definitely interrupts user workflow. I filed a case with SF support, but hard to say if the problem here is w/SF, Chrome, or somewhere in between.
I tried what was suggested below:
Pop-ups and reditrects
Manually add "https://ap8.lightning.force.com"
This works for a minute, but once i quit the browser, it stopped working.
Jess Rudolph - 8 months ago
Just got off the phone with Salesforce. They are not taking responsibility for the fact that this was caused by the Summer '19 release. The guy kept telling me to work with my internal IT to disable pop-up blocker, meanwhile we were on a screenshare and he can see that I've disabled pop-up blocker and we are STILL getting the modal to approve navigating to an external site. If the support reps aren't doing their job, we don't have a voice to get this fixed. This is a huge problem.
Riju Chakraborty - 8 months ago
We have a linkedin redirect from our lightning page. Initially I was not getting it. But it started appearing after clearing cache. Adding the site under Settings>Site Settings>Pop-ups and redirects or disabling pop-up blocker altogether does not solve the issue. Please fix it.
Josh Dayment - 8 months ago
We have disabled Pop-ups IAW with the knowledge article Salesforce provided us after creating a ticket earlier this week. Sill no luck for us. We are on chrome ver 75 (critical update over the weekend) we also added our salesforce custom domain to the trusted sites list and that did not work either.